Tuesday, April 20, 2010

CBH at Cross-fit

This is a place that will teach you humility. After feeling really great about my recent half-marathon performance, it took less than a hour at Cross-fit to be reminded what a weak-ass I really am. The first part of the workout involved learning front-thrusters. You have a bar-bell with weight balanced on your collar bone and shoulders. Your elbows are supposed to stick-out in front and your wrists are bent back. Just standing hurts. You squat and then in one motion explode up and move the bar above your head. After practices with just the 35lb bar for a while, I then did them with 65lbs. I did them until my wrists couldn't take it any more. Maybe 20. Then the actual work-out. 200 meter row, 8 parallel bar push-ups(two pvc bars about 8-10 inches off the ground-you hold the plastic bar and dip your chest below your hands) 12 kettle bell swings, 4 rounds. The 200 meter row was easy, the kettle bell swings are harder, but I could do them. By the 3rd round I was doing no more than 2 push-ups at a time. By the 4th round, my arms simply would not work. It took about 8 minutes to get to failure. The good news is that you get so pissed you are determined to do better the next time. And the best part, no matter how good you get, the goal is to keep failing. Bring it on.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

That's the CrossFit spirit! This was an excellent post. You chronicled the physical moves and the emotional component wonderfully.

And you are not a weak-ass. How many 58 year old guys do you SEE in that gym? And you are DOING shit!

meryl rose said...

LOL! (at what CBH said, not mom). I'm not laughing that you're a weak-ass (which you're not), but just at your description, that was HILARIOUS.